☼ Author of Back in Time Tarot and Tarot in Reverse. Co-Creator of the Snowland Deck. Amazon Hall of Fame Reviewer. Wife. Homeschooling Mom. Mystic. Foodie. Mental Hygienist. Renaissance Soul. Conceptual Blender. 7w8. ENxP. Award-Winning Cook. BS Adverse. Lover of Life. ☼
1. What’s your favorite breakfast food? Oh, I love, LOVE breakfast burritos. Eggs, potatoes, pico de gallo and avocado in one dish? I’m there.
2. Book you’d like to give everyone (or wish they would read)?The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. It focuses on the dual desire to be consumed by deep, intense bonds of love and to be completely free and unattached and able to act however you please. And there’s a Russian invasion, a discussion on kitsch, fleeing oppression and a complicated affair…it’s just so good!
3. What makes you laugh? There’s an amazing Australian series by comedian Josh Thomas called “Please Like Me.” There’s at least one one-liner in each episode that utterly cracks me up. Laughter, especially in the midst of tragedy, is golden, you know? The characters face challenges and obstacles that we all face, and their sense of humor that gives them the strength to live with pride and dignity.
4. Song that never gets old: This is a difficult one (I can think of so many that never, ever get old), but I think I’m going to have to go with “California” by Joni Mitchell. I love to sing, and Joni’s incredibly challenging range-wise. Not to mention that her voice resonates so deeply with me that I’m moved every time I hear her. She’s timeless.
5. Drink of choice: It’s a really close tie between black coffee and water. I like to keep things simple and classic beverage-wise. When I indulge, however, it’s Freixenet Extra Dry Brut or Laphroaig 10 Year Scotch. Six years in the restaurant industry will do that to you.
6. Would you rather be hot or cold? Hot, any day of the week. I have Reynaud’s Syndrome, which is a clinical way of saying I lose circulation in my fingers and toes when I get too cold. When it happens and I’m out and about, it feels like I’m walking on rocks! Needless to say, I try my best to keep my temperature up.
7. Mountain, beach, desert, or forest? The mountains to expand my mind, the beach to soothe my soul.
8. Favorite color? Black. I’m generally a huge fan of color contrast—dark and light—and for me, black is the elegant outline, the hue that gives form and shape to things.
9. Best movie line:“Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.”
10. Last thing you splurged on? A set of watercolor cakes, watercolor paper, and paintbrushes. Painting is my refuge, and it’s been far too long since I’ve done it on a regular basis. Who knows—if I can get back in practice, I may even try to make a deck!
11. Bonus Q: What prompted you to make Tarot videos? I was inspired by a host of incredibly talented witchy YouTubers—Kelly-Ann Maddox, Joanna Devoe, Jo Morris, The Sea Priestess, New-Age Hipster…the list goes on. They gave life to what I was studying, made it human and vulnerable and beautiful. I’ve always been compelled to share my knowledge with others, and I felt that perhaps my take on tarot may speak to them in the way that the lovely ladies I mentioned had spoken to me. Likewise, it just seemed like a hell of a lot of fun, and it is!
Jessi Huntenburg is a tarot reader, blogger, witch, and YouTuber. When she's not slinging the cards for her amazing clients, you can find her doing yoga, sewing tarot bags, and cuddling with her husband and two year old daughter. VisitJessiHuntenburg.com to explore reading options and herYouTubeChannelfor original tarot spreads, deck reviews, and spiritual guidance.