This oversight in most (if not all) Tarot books is unfortunate, because the Four Elements are reflected in the Minor Arcana cards symbolically and practically.
Each suit relates to:
WATER - Cups, chalices, bowls, hearts or other receptacle for holding. It is considered feminine/passive in nature. Colors often used in Water cards are deep blues, aqua and, in some cases, gold (in terms of cup color and preciousness). WATER/CUPS connects with relationships, intuition, feelings, dreams, the unconscious/subconscious, psychic phenomena, empathy, compassion, forgiveness and matters of the heart. Its energy is of a slower nature--steeping, stewing. In ancient Tarot de Marseilles style decks, CUPS was associated with the clergy. In the four-humor model, WATER is sanguine. In terms of Jungian function, WATER is Feeling.
FIRE - Wands, batons, staffs or clubs, its phallic shape connects it with the masculine/active. Colors often used in Fire cards are red and orange, sometimes bright yellow. FIRE/WANDS connects with passion, energy, enthusiasm, courage, gumption, vocation, career (as opposed to actual job), and many issues related to the "self" (as in, "self starter", "self propelled", "self possessed", etc.). Its energy is of a faster nature--sudden, and sometimes explosive. In ancient Tarot de Marseilles style decks, WANDS was associated with the peasant class. In the four-humor model, FIRE is choleric. In terms of Jungian function, FIRE is iNtuition.
EARTH - Coins, pentacles, disks, crystals, diamonds or other round object. It is considered feminine/passive in nature. Colors often used in Earth cards are greens and browns, sometimes gold (in terms of money). EARTH/COINS connects with the physical realm, such as material possessions, money, job, health, land, home and environment. Its energy is of a slower nature--cautious, methodical. In ancient Tarot de Marseilles style decks, COINS was associated with the merchant class. In the four-humor model, EARTH is phlegmatic. In terms of Jungian function, EARTH is Sensing.
AIR - Swords, blades, arrows or spades, its shape is also phallic, and thus masculine/active. Colors often used in Air cards are powder blue, gray, white and at times, yellow (especially pale yellow). AIR/SWORDS connect with the mental realm--thoughts, communication, decisions, beliefs, judgments, clarity of ideas, opinions and so on. Many people believe that thoughts cause suffering, not situations. Thus, AIR/SWORDS is often attributed to arguments, hostility, anxiety and suffering. In ancient Tarot de Marseilles style decks, SWORDS was associated with nobility. In the four-humor model, AIR is melancholic. In terms of Jungian function, AIR is Thinking.
I thought a wonderful way to go deeper with the Minor Arcana to explore its symbols and practical insight into our lives was to create a journal dedicated to not only cards 1-10, but also the Pages, Knights and Queens.
Some fast facts about the 2018 Tarot Journal: A Minor Arcana Journey:
- This is a full-color, printable journal that doubles as a calendar. Every week is dedicated to ONE card in the Minor Arcana, with eight lines for writing down your answers. Every DAY includes a journal prompt, with a bonus prompt at the end of every week--377 prompts total.
- Thirteen spreads for you to use, with full-color illustrations.
- You do not need to own a Tarot deck to use the 2018 Tarot Journal! Full-color images of every card in our Snowland Deck is provided at the beginning of every week. Prompts are based on the keywords and energy of the card, so anyone can use the Journal with great results.
- Bonus prompts (52 of them) often ask you to look through your deck or draw a card or cards. You do NOT have to do the bonus prompts if you don't yet have a deck. (You're also free to use any oracle deck or charm-based oracle like our Boyer Charming Oracle, instead). Or, you can visit sites that provide images of all 78 Tarot cards to make your selection. The free website My Divination (click here) lists 133 different decks you can browse through for card selection--including our Snowland Deck.
A full year's worth of thought-provoking prompts that will take you through the Minor Arcana, as well as:
- The highs and lows of your relationships, dreams and feelings
- The wide range of your attitudes, assumptions and fears
- The strength of your passion, courage and self-esteem
- The nitty-gritty of your environment and work, as well as your physical and financial state
May your 2018 be filled with joy, peace and good health--as well as fruitful introspection and conscious creation!